Sunday, April 11, 2010

Erma West's Journal - About 40 years later

Mary finally left her husband and moved to my place April 29, 1974.

Mary my sister and I moved to 2611 Wren Rd, Holladay, Utah to be near my son Melvin and family.

June 20, 1974 almost two months later my sister died. She was buried in Marysville, California near my brother Frank. Phyllis came the day before she died. Mel, Phyllis and I drove to California where she was buried. That left me alone again, which has been very lonely. I miss her and all of my friends in California. I feel so alone here – not knowing anyone. I go up to Mel’s every day, but they are too busy to come down very much.

Patricia Sonntag is the only real friend I have here. In Feb 1975 I went to California for a couple of weeks to visit my friends and Nephew and family in Anaheim. Rosalie was in the Rio Hondo Convalescent Home. We had been friends since 1936 when we worked at Sears on Vermont and Slauson L.A. She died in Feb 1976. I miss her greatly. While I was living in Huntington Park, I use to go see her real often, do things for her and take her places, before she had to go to the home. She was nearly blind.

Angie Davis, my dear friend, was 103 Sept 9, 1975 when I was in L.A. – she was my landlady in 1927.

In Sept 7, 1975 I went to Phyllis’s in Virginia – stayed with her 3 months – came back home after Thanksgiving. It had snowed and was so cold, I was snowed in so much, and hated it here.

That winter I fell backward off the bathtub, injuring my tail bone – and suffered for two or three months, before that healed. (Page 17) I fell on the ice on my driveway and cracked my head – which I can still feel in Oct 1976.

In March 1976 I made another trip to California to see Angie and Donna Koontz in Santa Monica and other friends in Huntington Park – also Ann and Bob in Anaheim. Angie passed away Aug 28, 1976. She would have been 104 Sept 9th. There have been about 7 of my friends gone since I moved from there – H.P. [Huntington Park].

Sept 3, 1976 I made a trip to Iowa and Minnesota to visit my 3 nephews – the Newman boys. Also stayed overnight in Sioux Falls, So. Dakota with Jean and Paul Kogel. I have had a very busy summer helping in the garden, this fall canning fruit and vegetables, and drying some. Fall of 1976 I met Laura Delts. She has turned out to be a very good friend. I enjoy her very much.

Dec 11, 1976 I flew to my dear daughter’s home in Charlottesville, Virginia to spend three months with her. It turned into four months and very enjoyable. I did hate so much to leave her, as she was alone and I worry about her very much. We were snowed in during the winter, but I kept busy sewing and making quilts for Phyllis. We bought a lot of wood to keep the fireplace going to keep warm.

The last of March and first of April we planted strawberrys and a vegetable garden – which were growing nicely when I left – April 10th 1977 on Easter to come home to a cold bleak weather, nothing green or blooming like it was in Virginia, the dogwood and all the other trees were blooming. I have now planted garden and flowers. They are growing nicely, makes it fell like spring.

May 3, 1977 was my 78th birthday. I received a number of cards and letters from friends, a card and note file from Pat, a plant from Laura, a $10 check from Ester, a phone call from Phyllis and $15.00, a happy birthday wish from Mel and dinner with cake and ice cream with Mel, Erminie, Debi, Steve, Dan, and Debi’s children.

No comments: