Friday, January 8, 2010

Erma West's Journal - Post 5 - California

(New home in California)
The next home was California. Melvin was 9 and Phyllis 7 years. We lived with my brother a couple of weeks until we found and rented a place on Record St. and stayed there a few months. Then rented a house from Angie Davis (My brother Frank went to California when he was 16 yrs.). It had 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room and kitchen. Melvin slept on a cot in the living room. It was a regular house a few blocks from the one a Record St. It was on Alma St. Angie had built a small apt across the back of it where she lived. She used to take me for drives when the children were in school. We became real good friends – which continued until she died at age 104 yrs.

From there we moved downtown where my brother Frank bought the O’Henry Van & Storage. He wanted me to come up and keep books and tend the office. There was an apartment back of the office where we lived. My husband Elmer worked for Bekins Van and Storage.

From there we moved to a place on Crawford St. From there we moved to 114 94th St. still in Los Angeles to a small house. After a year we moved to 120 84th (Page 7) which was next door. [It was] a larger and better house and a nice double garage and big yard for the children. There was a sun room on the back of the house, which was Melvin's room. He went to Bret Hart Junior High and Fremont High school while we lived in those two houses. That is about the time that Elmer and I separated - I moved up to Gage Ave into a little court. Both the children were married so I was alone. I was about 35 years old then. After that I moved over to my cousins and rented a bedroom. I stored my furniture in their garage. I wasn't there too long, just a few months. From there I moved to 52nd St to a duplex. Mr. and Mrs. Pete Wilson were my land lords. When Chuck was sent to Korea, I moved to Downey to be with Phyllis and Children. When he came back I moved back to Huntington Park. I was working at Moran's Drapery Store. The land lord raised our rent from $55.00 a month to $70.00 a month so Ruth my next door neighbor and I both moved to a place on Broadway St. From there I moved back to Huntington Park on Templeton St. I quit Moran’s and went to work for Bruce Hill Drapery store in Glendale. While there I took 2 weeks off and flew to Hawaii to visit Phyllis and family.

No comments: